This role exists to ensure the day-to-day running of the university’s Research based computing platforms and services are delivered to a high standard and in accordance with defined service level agreements. It includes proactive management and maintenance of all aspects of the university’s Research platforms, adoption of new Research services in the cloud, bringing into production and responding to operational incidents and service requests. The role also includes continual service improvement ensuring the university has appropriate and available Research Platforms and services to support its ongoing needs.
Some travel will be required for meetings and training to King’s College London, predominately between King’s Service Centre, Cornwall and university campuses in London.
• Responsible for the successful delivery of Research Platforms and services within a Service Management framework and in line with the agreed university standards and Service Levels.
• Responsible for managing the resolution of major incidents and any escalated issues on the Research Cloud Platforms and associated services.
• Responsible for supporting technological change across the Research areas through the use of Cloud platforms, working closely with King’s Researchers and Research Solutions teams to provide platforms to meet Research requirements.
• Proven ability to manage cloud billing and costs (FinOps) across a set of complex operational budgets.
• Ensuring cloud consumption costs are well understood, effectively managed, optimised and accurately re-charged.
• To be the technical authority and champion for the Research on-premise and Cloud Platforms managed by the Research teams.
• Interfacing with Researchers to provide cloud platform environments to support Research requirements.
• Responsible for the security, resilience, backup and monitoring of the Research Cloud Platforms and Services
• Represent changes to the Research Cloud environment in Change Advisory Board meetings, daily and weekly Service Review meetings and the Design Authority.
• Responsible for establishing, developing and managing staff to support the Research cloud platforms.
• Responsible for fostering a practice of collaboration and continuous improvement with the King’s Research teams.
• Responsible for identifying and undertaking Service Improvements.
• Responsible for identifying opportunities to reduce environmental impact and implementing improvements.
• Responsible for working closely with the other teams within IT to provide an excellent IT Service.
• Responsible for peer reviewing and contributing to proposed Research solutions to ensure they are fit for purpose and provide optimal value for money.
• Responsible for the adoption into service of new solutions ensuring operational suitability.
• Responsible for responding to customer improvement activity.
• Deputation for the Head of Platform Services as required.
We are a fast growing company supporting the services of King’s College London, but in the heart of Cornwall.
We have active committees for Sustainability, Healthy Workplace and a Social Committee!
We offer 25 days holiday per annum, 10% discretionary bonus, contributory pension scheme, modern, comfortable offices a mere 10 minutes from the beach – plus much more!